Last updated 5 years ago
Crawfish Beignets with Cajun Dipping Sauce
Get a taste of the deep South with these slightly spicy beignets. You won't be able to eat just one! —Donna Lanclos, Lafayette, Louisiana
Prep: 20 min.
Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pound chopped cooked crawfish tail meat or shrimp
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Zatarain's cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup bread flour (substitute French Market Beignet Mix and follow directions on bag)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, crawfish, onions, butter, salt and
- cayenne. Stir in flour until blended.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- tablespoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until
- golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish if
- desired and pepper sauce. Serve with beignets. Yield: about 2 dozen
- (3/4 cup sauce).
© Taste of Home 2012